sundaisies & doodlebugs -->

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Dirty Little Secrets of Early Motherhood, final part

Myth 3: Breastfeeding comes "naturally"

Contrary to popular belief, breastfeeding must be learned by both mother and baby. The only thing that comes "naturally" is baby's suck reflex and mom's thought that, "This Sucks!"

Learning how to breastfeed is on my list of Top Ten Worst Experiences of My Life. Hell hath no fury like a newborn baby gnawing at your bosom.

In the hospital, I nicknamed my son, "Barracuda Baby" for his deadly bite. Each time he latched onto my breast, I was screaming inside. After two weeks, I almost gave up. I can't tell you how many nights I cried as I nursed my son during those early days. I was an on-call milk truck - a thankless, around-the-clock job.

Thank goodness there was a rainbow at the end of the storm. I never would have come this far without the support from a wonderul lactation nurse and the encouragement of my awesome husband. I'm glad I stuck it out past the first few weeks.

My son is now two months old and I can honestly say I enjoy breastfeeding. He's growing and thriving and I'm proud that I have everything to do with that.

1 Comments:

Blogger aunt kim said...

Boy, she summed it up! It does hurt like hell! I gave up too soon with Matthew because of the pain. Fortunately with Trevor I had the strength to tough it out. It was definitely worth it. There is an incredible bond that forms when a mother nurses her child, not to mention the health benefits :) I encourage all new mothers to tough it out for at least 3 weeks. SOunds like a long time, I know, but the rewards outweigh the pain. It's kinda nice knowing that whenever you are out and about with your child theres no chance of you leaving their food behind!

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home