sundaisies & doodlebugs -->

Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Face of 14

Well, today my last born child turned 14 years old. That makes me how old?????? Yesterday she chose chicken breasts, wild rice, and brussel sprouts for dinner. Yes, your read it right. I actually have a child who chooses brussel sprouts for her birthday dinner. Of course, she also chose spice cake with purple frosting. Now I think that each of my girls chooses spice cake for their birthday. Do they really like it or do they choose it 'cause it's my favorite? Makes me wonder.....

Anyway, the frosting was actually cream cheese frosting with the help of blue and red food coloring and some purple sprinkles. It was a quiet dinner, as it didn't include any other family members, but I think this is what we have to get used to. As our family grows up and each starts their own families, traditions take on new faces. This face is one of a 14 year old who would still rather hang with Mom and Dad then go to a friend's house, one who still gets excited about going to Chuck E Cheese's, and will spend her birthday Target money on a sidewalk chalk games to play with a two year old. I love her tender heart. Part of me hopes she'll never change......

We woke up this morning, and of course, she had spice cake for breakfast. I figure, once a year it won't kill her. I did, however, manage to get most of a banana down her before dropping her off for camp. It'll be a rough week for her.....she's at SPA CAMP. That's right, she has five whole days of pedicures, manicures, facials, makeup, and hair do's. She'll get all the other regular camp stuff too, but she doesn't care about any of that. Can't wait to hear all about it.

On another note....is it just because I'm getting older, or because the reality is setting in that my girls are all growing up and will all be gone in a blink of an eye. I have been dropping kids off to Girl Scout camp since Aimee and Joleen were in the first grade. That's a lot of camps. I've put each one of my 4 girls on a bus to camp many times over, but each and every time I tear up when it's time to say goodbye. I know she'll be back in a few days, so why do I do that? Is it because I'm relinquishing control? Do I even really have control in the first place?

I know....we'll blame it on hormones. Let's blame everything on hormones......

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh! I love this. I'm glad she had a good birthday dinner. Spice cake is my favorite too so it just works. ;) Purple frosting? Is that why you called me?! LOL :) Don't worry I won't tell. Thanks for sharing the photos- wish I could have been there. You were SO close to posting the link correctly- don't give up now! I'll email you later with the one and only thing that went wrong. And don't worry, I seriously do not mind going in and linking things for you anyway- it doesn't make you stupid.

I wish they had spa camp when we were little. heck, i wish i could go now. lol

7:56 AM  
Blogger aunt kim said...

Spa Camp sounds real nice right about now :) But I guess I will just continue packing for our upcoming prison camp (hee hee) Thanks for sharing the pictures. I can't wait to hear all about it! (which I know I will)

As far as the control? I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. hee hee

4:19 PM  
Blogger Simply Me said...

OK that's enough!!! Spa Camp!!!!???? OMG!!!! Kids have it so much better today than I did growing up. But that's what mom's are for aren't they? Spice cake, purple frosting, mani's, pedi's hair do's, braces, breasts and boys!!!!!!!! Good Luck honey, I'll be thinking about you..
Blessings,

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home